Here at fusionSpan we have been looking for ways to contribute to the vibrant netFORUM Enterprise community. We have seen so many great ideas for functionality shared by different users, plus features request by our customers, that we’ve decided to release a series of netFORUM Enterprise Plugins that should make it easy for your team to install and leverage the functionality.
Want to get notified about our next netFORUM Plugin or other exciting opportunities?
Sign up to our netFORUM list Sign up for notifications
Plugin in action!
Want to add a captcha field to one of your netFORUM forms? Then this tutorial is for you! In this tutorial, we will go over creating a new captcha element and adding it to a form. Using this netFORUM plugin can help protect us from bots being used to fill out forms. Below you can find extra ways to customize the captcha to your needs, as well as a link to the full documentation.
DIRECTIONS TO INSTALL
How to Install
- RDP into the webserver with an account that has access to the database
- Download the plug-in installer
- Double-click the self-extracting downloaded file
- Follow the Setup Wizard instructions (see video above)
On the web form itself, the captcha should look something like the image featured below.
Configuration settings can be found here, as well as a link to the full documentation at the bottom.
CAPTCHA Application Config Settings
Captcha can be modified or customized through a special <botDetect > section in the web.config.
soundPackagesFolder=”C:\Program Files (x86)\Captcha Inc\BotDetect 4 CAPTCHA Component\Asp.Net\BotDetectSounds”
imageTooltip=”Custom Captcha image tooltip”
soundTooltip=”Custom Captcha sound icon tooltip”
reloadTooltip=”Custom Captcha reload icon tooltip”
helpLinkText=”Custom Captcha help link text”
additionalCssClasses=”class1 class2 class3″
additionalInlineCss=”border: 4px solid #fff; background-color: #f8f8f8;”
Some of the properties are explained below:
- CAPTCHA Code Length
- Description: Number of characters in randomly generated Captcha codes (answers to Captcha challenges).
- Default: The default value is random (4-6 characters).
- Valid Values: Captcha code length setting values are integers larger than 0 and smaller than 16.
- CAPTCHA Code Style
- Description: Character types used to generate random Captcha codes.
- Default: The default value is Alphanumeric.
- Valid Values: Members of the BotDetectCodeStyle enumeration (Alpha, Numeric, or Alphanumeric).
- CAPTCHA Disallowed Code Substrings
- Description: Strings that should never occur in randomly generated Captcha codes. Can be both single characters (allows Captcha character set customization) and sequences of two or more characters (useful for swear words filtering, avoiding particular hard-to-read sequences etc.).
- Default: The default value is empty (Captcha code filtering is optional).
- Valid Values: Valid user disallowed Captcha code substring setting values are lists of arbitrary strings, in list object or CSV format. Whitespace is ignored, and disallowed substrings are not case-sensitive (because Captcha codes are case-insensitive as well).
- CAPTCHA Image Style
- Description: The BotDetect drawing algorithm used to render Captcha codes in image Captcha challenges.
- Default: The default value is random (an image style is chosen from all available values for each Captcha image generated).
- Valid Values: Valid user Captcha image style setting values are members of the BotDetectImageStyle enumeration. Please note that some image styles are restricted to paid versions of BotDetect, and will be ignored in free version implementations.
**Note: If you have any trouble, please don’t hesitate to email [email protected] and we can help you out!
fusionSpan - ENHANCING THE ROI OF netFORUM ENTERPRISE
Extending netFORUM Enterprise ensures your business needs are met. Customizations can save staff time, improve customer experience, and benefit your organization in the long run. All customizations are built following best practice to make upgrading easier and keep you as close to baseline as possible.
Have you been using your database for a while but don’t feel that you’re getting the most out of the system? We’ll help review your current system and processes to provide strategic feedback and ensure that you’re using it to its potential.
Moving to a new version of netFORUM takes effort – reviewing baseline, checking customizations, testing SOPs. While Abila will support the system, we can bring in our team to work with your staff during the testing process. Are there new features that allow you to move to baseline? Who is responsible for sign-off? How will you determine if you are ready to upgrade? We can ensure you are ready to move forward.
Often overlooked, eWeb offers a great deal of functionality out of the box. We can take that baseline site, and mold it to match your organization, allowing you to leverage the functionality for which you are paying. Stuck on an old version? We can help upgrade to the new responsive eWeb, either restyling custom pages or updating the baseline pages.
Having to complete duplicate data entry in multiple systems? fusionSpan can integrate your database with your website, your eMarketing system or another tool using the system’s API. We’ve even built an app that gives you and your members access to member information right out of your database onto their mobile devices.
New to netFORUM? fusionSpan is an Abila implementation partner who can get you all set up on the system. We’ll analyze your business requirements and identify the best way to meet them in netFORUM. This can be particularly advantageous for associations also looking to update their CMS, as our team can also support that process, so you don’t have to worry about managing multiple vendors and can focus on a successful implementation.
fusionSpan can help ensure that your implementation of netFORUM follows industry best practices to better secure your membership data. Proper system configuration, penetration testing, and static code analysis provides insights that allow your association to better understand your netFORUM Implementation’s attack surface, that fusionSpan can help remediate.
Could your implementation of netFORUM use a little performance boost? fusionSpan can help by A) tuning netFORUM’s configuration, B) implementing techniques that are known to improve performance, and C) monitoring and analyzing your servers and applications to identify bottlenecks that can be later addressed and deployed.